Sunday, September 19, 2010

Never Underestimate the Power of Down Time


Ok, so when I was working a regular job I got used to my M-F 8-5 schedule and having evenings and weekends to myself (though dreading Mondays and stressed all weekend about it). After doing that for 18+ years you get quite used to it (except for the getting up at 6:30 a.m. thing, I *never* got used to that). But now having started my own business I find I work a LOT, like 11-12 hours a day. It doesn't bother me, it's my own thing and I actually feel like I have more free time now but I actually work more. I guess it's all in the ability to set your own schedule.

However, the past 3 weeks have been super busy (yay, I hope it's not just a blip but rather a trend) and I have not had an entire day off in that long. It starts to catch up with you, you get fatigued, you don't feel like you sleep enough, you just feel run down in general. So I told myself that I was going to take an entire weekend off this weekend. It pretty much worked. I spent maybe only 2 hours on a couple things but that was it. And it's great! I don't feel like I have projects hanging over my head since I got them all done during the week. I feel like it's been ages since I worked. I feel refreshed. And I'm looking forward to hitting it again tomorrow (Monday).

I guess it all comes down to making sure you get time off to recoup, regroup and refresh before you start serving others again. If you don't, where will you have the energy or want to do it? So make sure you take your potty breaks, your evenings, your weekends, your vacations, whatever gives you a reprieve, just do it! Life is so much more than just work!

No comments:

Post a Comment